Monday, January 25, 2010

It's Official




The registration on "Blondie" expires on the 27th of this month, so we had to take the plunge and get TX license plates on the car. (We even got an easy to remember number. I had to Photoshop the numbers on the plate to protect our privacy.) Farewell to looking like an out-of-state visitor in the Lone Star State. Perhaps we do look a little more like Texans after visiting the County Tax Assessor's/Collector's office to get the vehicle registered. (Probably not!) I still feel as if we are in a foreign land. Many things are familiar, but there a lot of new things to learn. Folks are VERY friendly, but it just doesn't feel like home yet.

For some reason, my brain keeps replaying a few lines from the Lyle Lovett song "That's Right, You're Not From Texas" as we make the transition to living here. Thanks to my sister for making us aware of this song. :-) I had never even heard it until she sent it to us. Now it's become our relocation anthem, I guess! It has a catchy tune, and it makes me smile. (Proverbs 15:13 -- A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.) Smiles and laughter are appreciated these days. And a silly song is always welcome. Sing it, Lyle.

You say you're not from Texas
Man as if I couldn't tell
You think you pull your boots on right
And wear your hat so well

So pardon me my laughter
'Cause I sure do understand
Even Moses got excited
When he saw the promised land

That's right you're not from Texas
That's right you're not from Texas
That's right you're not from Texas
But Texas wants you anyway...