Thursday, July 15, 2010

Rest in Peace, Danda Smith


Ever since we moved into the new house, we have been receiving phone calls for Danda Smith. I've rather enjoyed telling telemarketers that Danda doesn't live here. It keeps the calls short and sweet, and I don't have to listen to the salesperson's spiel. Thank you, Danda.

Even the USPS is delivering mail to our house for Danda. Dandy! We are the first and only people to have this address, so how does Danda get mail before we do? I'll bet she didn't even have to fill out a change of address form.

After making a few phone calls from our land line, I learned that even our phone number/identity appeared as Danda Smith on other people's caller ID. Our family and friends were confused as to who was calling. Danda is everywhere.

We FINALLY figured out who Danda is... Thankfully, she is NOT a deadbeat. I'm quite sure we'd like her, if we ever met.

When Mr. Smith and I set up our phone/internet/TV with Verizon last month, the phone company representative asked how we would like our name to appear in the directory. For twenty-plus years we have always had it listed as D and A Smith with no address. We went with this option again; HOWEVER, it came out like this: DandA Smith! Ahhh -- Danda!

I contacted Verizon and learned that they cannot add spaces or ampersands to their listings, so we will no longer be listed as D & A Smith or D and A Smith. We opted to "kill" Danda while we were at it, so now we will be appearing as plain ol' D Smith. Gee, I wonder how many D Smiths there are in the greater DFW area? Maybe we should have gone with A Smith instead, or Smithlings...

I'm already starting to miss hearing the phone ring for our dearly departed (imaginary) friend. It's kinda quiet here.

I just might have to come up with a new approach for dealing with telemarketers now that Danda is gone. Oh, I'll likely stick to my favorite response of very politely saying, "Thank you soooo much for your call. You have done a masterful job of explaining this AMAZING opportunity to me. You do your job really well, but I am sure that you hear compliments like that all the time. I would certainly be a fool to pass up an offer as wonderful as this, but I must decline... Good bye!" Click.