Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ahh, fall...

I just had to share a couple of this year's favorite autumn decorations. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, all of the lovely fall things will soon be packed away and replaced with Christmas items.

The fall foliage is just beginning to get colorful here in North TX -- we have been patiently waiting. I'm not ready for Christmas colors just yet. I need a few more days of orange and yellow.

I love this turkey kit that I found at our local Ace Hardware. Ace is the place... The pumpkins keep rotting where the turkey parts poke into the pumpkin, so this is about the third turkey body. The funniest pose was one my son did with the turkey standing up on his feet. It is too hard to get the bird to balance, so sitting is easier.


A decoration that is in my kitchen is made of several ears of Indian corn tied with twine to the outside of a glass hurricane. It was inexpensive and easy! I used a gift certificate to Pier1 to pay for the candle and the glass holder, so the only out-of-pocket cost was for the ears of corn. I think it turned out really nice.

Any suggestions of how I can use the candle and the glass hurricane for Christmas decorating? Perhaps giant gingerbread men strapped to the side? Snowballs? (Fake ones, of course.) Mini Christmas trees? Or freshly cut boughs? Candy canes? The options are limitless. :-)