Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Milestones

  1. The Smiths have now lived in Keller, TX, for a little over a year.
  2. Mr. Smith and I are approaching our 277th monthiversary on the 27th. For those of you trying to figure this out, that's 23 years of wedded bliss plus one month.
  3. I have successfully made it to the five-year mark for being cancer-free. Yippee!
These are all blog-worthy milestones, I suppose.

KELLER
Okay, so technically, we arrived in TX on January 2, 2010. That means that we have been in the Lone Star State for 390 days. I am just a little slow with getting anything written to commemorate the anniversary of the big move. This past year has been full, to say the least. We'll leave it at that.

We really do like living in Texas. Surprised?! I think that we are all a little surprised by this, too. Keller has a small town feel, yet is large enough to offer many nice amenities. And it is close enough to both Ft. Worth and Dallas that we can go to a big city, yet retreat to our "little" city.


Living in Keller is not that much different from living in Roseville. Really. Well, I cannot view the Sierra Nevada from my 2nd story windows, and the wine country and Pacific Ocean are not just a couple of hours away... Sigh! While there are some differences, there are many similarities between our old and new cities. They both are great places to raise a family. 

We are supposed to see In-N-Out come to our area later this year, and that will make TX even better in our kids' opinions. Me? I want a Peet's Coffee in my 'hood. A Double-Double does sound pretty good, but perhaps a bit too filling. I'd think I'd prefer the cup o' Joe, or should I say, "a cup o' Peet" ???

Keller was recently listed as one of the fastest growing cities in the US -- #3 to be exact. 

Four Texas cities made the 2010 list. Keller's neighbor, Haslet, TX, made it to the #2 spot, and Katy, TX, (where my brother and his family live) topped the list. The southwestern part of the US is where it is happenin', I guess! I do have to add that Lincoln, our old neighboring city in CA, also made the top ten.

We certainly saw rapid growth in Roseville during the ten years that we lived there, and we are seeing some of the same things in our new location. Either we are trend setters, or Mr. Smith just happens to be in a line of work that requires him to live near high growth areas. It is more likely the latter option. We Smiths have never been known to set ANY trends.

MONTHIVERSARY
Yes, I realize that "monthiversary" is not a real word. Don't bother looking in Webster's. It's not there.

Our friend Karl gets the credit for coining that beloved term 23 years ago. Mr. Smith and I were married on December 27, 1987, and the first "monthiversary" celebration was on January 27, 1988. We have only forgotten/missed one of the 277. We are oh, sooo romantic!

I am not sure what we will do to celebrate this one, but we had better think fast.

The big "300" will be here before we know it.  FYI, that'll be our 25th anniversary in a mere 23 months.

FREE!
I can now profess that I have arrived at the five-year mark of being free from cancer! While the five-year mark can be considered a major milestone, it doesn't mean that the risk of recurrence is completely gone. My odds just got better. Now I will look forward to celebrating my cancer-free anniversary at the ten-year mark, fifteen-year mark, twenty-year mark... :-)

Since cancer has claimed the lives of so many loved ones, especially this past year, it does feel good to be able to kick cancer in the keister for a change.

In some ways, it feels as if I just completed the last radiation treatment days ago. It is all still fresh in my mind. Other days, it is a far, distant memory. I still have a hard time thinking of myself as a cancer survivor, but I guess that is what I am.

I'm still here, so I guess that means that God is not finished with me just yet. Thankfully!


“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28