Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hurrah!

Maybe I'm 49 and holding... or 39? It's just a number, right? Pick a number, any number. Actually, I'm proud to be fifty. Fifty is a nice round number, and it's easy to remember. 

I awoke this morning to find a zit on my face, so OBVIOUSLY fifty is NOT old. I feel like a kid again. Where's the Clearasil, Stridex, Proactive Solutions, or Windex? I'll try anything.



Although the picture below has been edited, it's amusing. This is the control panel of the time machine in the movie Back to the Future. This photo was posted on several social media outlets today. The picture leads one to believe that Marty McFly traveled to the future date of June 27, 2012, via his flux capacitor-powered DeLorean. The date used in the movie was actually October 21, 2015, not today's date. 
Great Scott! I don't care if it's fake; it's still pretty cool that this hoax happened on my birthday. 


Why June 27, 2012? The official word is that this was merely a clever promotion stunt used to garner attention for sales of the Blue-ray three pack of BTTF.  


I'd prefer to think that this was in honor of MY day.


June 27th also marks the 294th monthiversary of marital bliss for Mr. and Mrs. Smith, so this has been an especially special day for celebrations. Our big #300 is a mere six months away!


My family decided to give me the night off from slaving in the kitchen, so we opted for dining out at a Tex-Mex restaurant. After VERY yummy fajitas with Uncle Julio and the rest o' the fam, we headed home for cake and presents. But instead of traditional birthday cake, I had requested fruit pizza. (Thanks, Liesey Lou, for the delicious dessert!)


The youngest Smithling created a most excellent treasure hunt for the occasion. The clues had me looking inside, outdoors in the 100º heat, upstairs, downstairs, in the garage, and finally in Narnia. Well, maybe not Narnia, but the the final clue DID lead to the wardrobe in the master bedroom. I found two gifts hidden along the way, but inside the wardrobe, there were four boxes all wrapped up waiting for me!


Here are some of the goodies I received:


 Beautiful baubles -- some handmade, some purchased 
Thank you, Daughters!

Liesey gave me Dolce & Gabbana's Light Blue fragrance, which is my favorite scent, especially for summer.

This is a very cool bracelet crafted by Millie. :-)


In addition to all of the jewelry that my Millie Girl made, she also gave me a case for my iPhone that looks like it could be Barbie's camera. She thinks that I need to change things up a bit. My regular everyday phone case is just too plain and boring, I guess.


These flip flops are definitely not in the "plain and boring" category.
I received scandalous sandals (Scandalous Designs, that is) from my son. He has been working at the Scandalous Designs warehouse for several months, so he had these beauties custom made for me! My boy (the King of Bling?!) selected Meridian Blue Swarovski crystals as well as the design pattern. The crystals are soooo sparkly! No, M. didn't hand craft these himself. He doesn't get into the production process; he's more in the shipping and receiving end of the business. Each sandal has 204 crystals, and I hope I don't lose a single one of 'em. 


After looking at my tootsies in that photo, I think I am in need of a pedicure.


Oh, did I happen to mention that I also was given an iPad & accessories from Mr. Smith? I have apparently been a good girl.


This getting older stuff is pretty fantabulous, as I've been pampered all week. The day before my official b-day, I was taken out to lunch and given a gift bag brimming with olive oils, and kitchen gadgets from my friend Barb. (She knows me well!) I also have received lots of phone calls, text messages, e-mails, FB greetings, and cards to add to the merriment. I am blessed.


Next up? There will be a belated b-day celebration with my relatives over the Fourth of July holiday. I have it on good authority that there will be homemade German Chocolate Cake at that gathering. And fireworks. Sounds like a party!
I'm thinkin' that this birthday celebration stuff may need to go on for a few more weeks, just so I can get used to this "new decade" and all that goes with this new chapter of life. Fifty sounds so respectable and grown up. Mature, even. 


I still feel like a spring chicken, I'm not doddery, and I don't think I'm long in the tooth yet; however, I received my invitation into AARP, and that made me stop and reflect -- for at least 20 seconds, any way. Does finding this little gem inside my mailbox mean I've arrived? Am I now mature? Probably not.
I am not going to be a card-carrying member. I shredded the invitation after I took this picture. I think I'll always be too young for this...




If it's all downhill from here, this aging business should be a piece o' cake. I sure hope it's German Chocolate.






 Wheeeee!