Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 -- It's a Wrap



Due to persistent, antibiotic-resistant pneumonia, INOKWACA's final chapter for 2012 has taken a while to be published. I'm better, but not YET completely well. Cough, cough, wheeze...  I want to tie a big red bow on the final blog entry of the year, so I'm going to grab my inhaler, sit at the computer for a little while, and get things up-to-date. Then I'll go take a nap. I've been doing a lot of that lately.


We spent Christmas Day in Texas. And yes, we had a white one!




The Arizona Thompsons were here with us on the 25th, and then they made up part of our caravan that traveled on ice and snow (on Dec. 26th) to get to Indiana. We had to get Dad's car back to the Hoosier state -- he had driven here for Thanksgiving, but then flew from DFW to Portland. Dad had originally planned to fly back into TX, then drive back home again; however, we offered to deliver his car, so he didn't have to risk traveling in wintry weather.




The drive took 15.5 hours, due to icy road conditions. Normally, we can make it door-to-door in fourteen hours. The slickest roads were in Texas, and things improved as we made it through Oklahoma and Missouri. By the time we crossed into Indiana, we had to drive in snow again, but we were only twenty miles from our final destination.

We laughed about our caravan of vehicles all being the same color. No one would have suspected that our three cars were travelling together, though, as there were TX, AZ, and IN license plates on the cars.

Once we made it to Grandpa's house, the fun really began. There were twenty Thompsons gathered for a belated Christmas celebration. Amidst the food prep, there were multiple conversations going on at all times, lots of laughter, and countless photos being snapped. I am only sharing a fraction of the images that were preserved...

Grandpa and his TX girls


 Lots o' Thompsons
Nine grandkids and one very happy grandpa


St. Louis people

Rachel and Arlo


Houston Thompsons

 AFMMTW, Spot, and Puff :-)



 The Birds -- Jay and Robin


Family pic





 Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...
Boys will be boys! Liesey didn't even see it coming.








Let the good times roll...

 These three are definitely related. Can't you see the family resemblance?


Mr. Smith and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary on the 27th of this month! That's #300 in "monthiversary-speak." Over this past month, I've likely been testing my best beloved's patience regarding the "in sickness and in health" part of the marriage vows. I'm just glad that Mr. Smith is patient, kind, and knows how to cook! The Smithlings have also helped out with household chores and laundry, so I've been getting a mini-vacaction from the drudgery of housework. I REALLY want to feel better.  I try to take care of myself, drink plenty of fluids, rest, but I cannot shake this crud. I'm now on my third round of antibiotics, I have two new inhalers, and I've even had steroids. 

Here's to 2013... The New Year had better be happy AND healthy! ;-)