Sunday, October 26, 2014

Instakitties

At the risk of causing people to think that I've become a crazy cat lady, here goes: Bartholomew and Jemima have their own Instagram account. There. I put it into print. 

Yes, these are our cats I'm talking about. 

So, I suppose you could say that the cat is out of the bag.

What can I say? We have social kitties at our house. Not only are they #catsofinstagram, B&J have had their own purrsonal Facebook accounts furever. They've actually got quite a few FB friends; however, those two are so busy napping that they rarely log in anymore to see what's going on.

Our Maine Coons have owned their shared Instagram account for a few years, but never really posted any pics until last year. True to their feline nature, they were merely Insta-creepers or stalkers, quietly and stealthily keeping a half-closed eye on Insta-activity. These two require MUCH sleep, you know.

My girls started out by posting the occasional picture or video, but rapidly lost interest. I decided to take over. After all, I am but a humble servant to the noble Smith beasties. And I AM a wee bit crazy. Besides, it is far too difficult for the kittehs to agree on what should be posted. We don't want any cat fights.

The Smith cats only have a few hundred followers, and that number is purrfectly fine with me.  I do not care about the number of followers, and neither do the beasties. B&J "follow" just under 300 (mostly Maine Coon) accounts, and many of those 300 are not active. There are way toooo many pet accounts in IG-land, and I simply do not have enough time in my week to devote to scrolling through pictures. Since the cats spend 90% of each day napping, they are of no help!

According to Friskies, 15% of all internet traffic is connected to cats. Wow! Cat pics and videos are virtually everywhere. FB, Instagram, and Twitter have ridiculously large numbers of accounts dedicated to felines. Social media truly is a strange animal. 

There are pet accounts on Instagram that have hundreds of thousands of followers. And there are many that top one million followers. 

Bart and Jemima wish to point out just a few Instakitties:

1. hamilton_the_hipster_cat a.k.a The Mustache Cat
When I look at this picture, I can hear ZZ Top singing:
They come runnin' just as fast as they can
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

Hamilton is one handsome boy who can claim 154K Insta-followers. As I was Googling images of this irresistable face, I found an interesting article about this rescued kitty. He's a Nor-Cal boy, so purr-haps that is why we feel a connection to him. Or it could just be that he's so adorable! 

2. nala_cat
Nala is the former shelter cat who boasts 1.6-ish million followers on Instagram. We are not included in that number, but I still thought you'd find this statistic a-mew-sing.

Or not.


3. iamlilbub

Lil Bub is yet another rescued kitty who has found fame on the Internet. There are over a half million people who follow this now-famous feline on Instagram.

4. romeoandramona
Romeo and Ramona are two more adopted fuzzballs who are quite photogenic. The owner of this dynamic duo is currently posting one picture/day of one or both cats posing with a wooden daily cat calendar. The calendar cats bear a likeness to R and R. These two may only have around 300 followers, but for me, they should be in the top ten of the furry heap of Instacats.

Then there are my two:



So why do I even bother with this silliness? Perhaps the "Maine" reason I've started posting on purrzle is that I want our Pepperdine daughter to be able to see images of her "favorite browns" pop up, when she checks her IG account. The college girl surely misses her cats, and I know the feline is mutual. 

Or maybe I really am becoming a crazy cat lady, and I'm just using #1 daughter's absence as a justification to snap and post cat photos. Hmmmm...

While there may be thousands "cool cats" on Instagram, my two MOSTEST favorite ones live at the Smith Haus, and are not-so-virtual, but very real. I've got globs of "tumblefur" on my hardwood floors to prove it.