Saturday, November 22, 2014

About Face

We had no idea what we would be doing when we volunteered to help with a community Thanksgiving festival in west Dallas. Our church had twenty-ish people show up to lend a hand. We signed up to be on the set-up crew, but we got put to work making balloon animals and doing face painting. We know nothing about either of these things! One of my friends who was there volunteering saved our bacon -- she has mad face painting skills. 

Many families arrived an hour early, so it was up to us to keep the kids entertained until the meal was served. Our balloon animal creations were rather lame, but the kids were forgiving. It was all about the face.








This little girl simply stole my heart, as she is so precious. She was pleased that I wanted to do a mini photo shoot of her with her painted face. These are my two favorite shots of the day.

 One little girl wanted to try her hand at face art. She is way too cute!
She drew on both of us. Millie is a star and I'm a heart.
Our budding "junior artist" also painted this message on her big sister's hand. It says, "I love Jesus" because the heart stands for love and the cross represents Christ. She had to tell me what it said, and she was quite emphatic about it! I LOVE it!!!
Our friends Izumi and Jana should've also gotten stars drawn on their faces for figuring out how to make balloon giraffes and dogs. (We also perfected making balloon fish and snakes.) Thanks to these two and their patience and creativity, Millie and I can now add balloon artist to our résumés! HA!