Saturday, December 27, 2014

One Score and Seven Years Ago...

Mr. Smith and I celebrated twenty-seven years of wedded bliss on the 27th! 

So if a "golden birthday" is the birthday on which the b-day celebrant turns the same age as his/her birthdate, why isn't the wedding anniversary that matches the date on which the bride and groom were wed called a "golden" anniversary?! Inquiring minds want to know.

Since the same naming conventions for "golden" b-days apparently does NOT apply to anniversaries, I guess that we will have to wait 23 more years before we can deem this union truly golden. Gee. I hope we can make it that long.
Our son gave us these cool mugs as part of our Christmas gift. With our anniversary two days after CHRISTmas, this is really an appropriate gift. They are perfect. For those of you who do not know, these are quotes from a scene in The Princess Bride, which also happens to be the second best thing that happened in 1987. Hint: 1987 was 27 years ago. 

These mugs are not really cool at all. I lied. When the picture was taken, they were quite hot. The glaze changes color from brown to cream as the temperature increases, which makes it possible to easily read the text on the mugs. Now, isn't that cool?
 We are keeping that flame o' love burning...

Our love burns eternal.

Mr. Smith and I are a hot match.

Our love will never burn out.

Sorry. I just had to use at least one bad pun in this entry. It's expected; possibly even required, so in honor of this momentous occasion, I exceeded the expectation. 

I think puns must be the secret to our happy marriage. 

Yeah, that's it.
So what wildly romantic thing did we do to celebrate our anniversary? We went out to eat. 

The best part is that we took our kids with us. We actually wanted them with us to help us celebrate. True story.
Although this picture was taken several days before the 27th, I want to share it here to officially commemorate our golden-but-not-really-golden anniversary. 

Twenty-seven years ago, we had an engagement picture taken before the wedding. This pic is sort of like that. It's the pre-Christmas/pre-anniversary "we-sort-of-got-cleaned-up-so-we-could-take-pictures" picture. 

I won't be submitting any pictures to the social pages of the local paper this time around, although I feel that celebrating a happy, committed, healthy, albeit pun-laden marriage IS pretty newsworthy stuff. 

I'll just publish our anniversary news here. It's MY column. I'm the editor. Roll the presses. :-P


Happiest Anniversary, Schnookums, a.k.a. Mr. Smith!