Monday, October 20, 2008

What's up with the cups?


Okay, so these are just paper coffee cups from Peet's Coffee. No big deal, right? Well, to me it symbolizes time well spent talking with my boy. (These cups represent a whole latte love?? SORRY! I am just espresso-ing myself with a couple of bad puns. You should know by now that silly wordplay is always brewing in my head.)


On Monday and Wednesday morning of each week, MDS goes to Sierra College for an 8 AM math class. After class, he rides the Placer County Transit bus to The Galleria where he transfers to the "M" line for Roseville Transit. The "M" drops M. off at Peet's, which is one mile from our house. At this point, he can either walk home, or call me to come and get him. On the days I go to pick him up, I enjoy taking a few more minutes out of the schedule to drink a cup o' joe with my boy. So far, he is the only Smithling who appreciates coffee, so I have to take advantage of that!


Since classes started, we have been having a "coffee break" about once a week, and that might increase to 2X/week as the temperatures get cooler. :-) What a treat! I love hearing what my son is thinking -- it doesn't have to be a deep, philosophical conversation. Sometimes a good laugh can't be beat. I truly enjoy spending time with him, and I know that time is fleeting, so I am savoring these coffee breaks all the more. Of course, the time spent with my "mostest favorite" son is MUCH tastier than the brew...


No, I am not so sentimental as to keep the used cups -- they do get thrown away. My Millie-girl thinks I'm rather silly for taking a picture and posting this entry. She just peeked over my shoulder and cannot believe that I am writing anything related to that cup photo. Perhaps someday she'll appreciate taking a coffee break with me, too. I'll keep you posted!