Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A little sleep, a little slumber

It has been reported that cats sleep an average of 16 hours each day. Zzzzzzz.... I'll bet that was a really fun job collecting the data for that research project. Ha! Although I have not conducted any scientific research on the matter, I would say that our two cats appear to sleep even more than 16 hours out of every 24. True, they are large and lazy beasts, but those are attributes of the Maine Coon breed that appeal to us. Bartholomew and Jemima are very low-maintenance, non-demanding pets. Quiet, too. That's only because they are asleep all of the time.

Purrhaps Millie could take this "cat nap study" on as a 5th grade science research project. Well, maybe not. I don't really care how much sleep B and J are getting. I know it's a lot more slumber than I'm getting. Just look at 'em.
I'm jealous. Nothing seems to bother these two kitties once they are asleep. Not so for me. I awoke again at 4:30 this morning, probably because that's what time I got up yesterday morning. My internal alarm just went off. And there, at the foot of my bed, lay a sleeping feline. Or maybe he was lying... ;-) It wasn't long before I began questioning the proper usage of lie, lay, lain. Arrrgh! Next I contemplated the horribly abused apostrophe. (But that's a topic for another day.) Then I tried to remember if I had really locked the back door before I went to bed. It's these kinds of silly thoughts that keep me from going back to sleep. It's really dark at that hour, and quiet, and kind of boring if you are the only one awake pondering proper grammar and such.

I know why the cats can sleep the better part of the day. They don't have to worry about word usage, punctuation, etc. -- their only concern is if the litter box is clean or if there is enough food and water. It's a rough life. They are both napping right now.


Our cats seek out the sunniest spots they can find for an afternoon snooze, but they don't need directions or a map to get to the land of Nod. They wake up just long enough to reposition themselves so as to stay in the direct path of the sunbeam. Why does warm sunshine make people/animals so sleepy? I have to admit that I, too, sometimes fall victim to the sleep-inducing properties of a sun-drenched sofa when Millie is reading her history lesson aloud to me, especially if I've been awake since 4:30 in the morning. Uh-oh! It looks like this afternoon is going to be a tough one for me. I'm sleep-deprived, and it's sunny. I just hope that I don't start snoring too loudly. I am my father's daughter, you know.