Monday, January 19, 2009

What have we been up to?

I don't have a creative theme or topic for this entry, nor do I have any photos, so this one will be more of a laundry list of what we have been doing the first few weeks of 2009.

Mr. Smith has been/is currently on the road. I am certain that there are some frequent flyer miles accumulating somewhere. Since the start of the new year, D. has been in Flagstaff for a couple of days, & he was in Ft. Worth for four days last week. Yes, he was here over the weekend! We all got up at 4:25 a.m. this morning to send him off to St. Louis, where it is brrrrr-cold. On Wednesday, he is scheduled to fly to Little Rock. Thursday evening it's off to Phoenix for Friday meetings. Finally, on Friday evening, we will get to see his smiling face back here in Roseville. There is another trek to Ft. Worth planned for the first part of February, so we'll keep his rollerbag accessible.

I'm not sure what I'm up to, but I seem to keep busy. :-) In this new year, I tried really hard to read The Shack (by William Young); however, I simply could not get beyond the first ten pages, or so. This book has been recommended as a "must read" by many friends. And these are recommendations from friends who normally have similar literary tastes to mine. I must not have been in the right frame of mind the five different times I sat down to read it, coffee in one hand, paperback in the other. A short read like this would normally not take me much time to read, but I just couldn't do it. I did talk to one other friend who had a similar experience, so we both agreed to put the book down & just say, "No" to reading it. I am currently looking for a replacement book. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Since we don't watch TV around here, I need something to do while my mister is hopping from state to state.

Classes resumed at Sierra College last week, and M. is enrolled in another math class this semester. This time he's taking Trigonometry. He is also back at the gym working with his personal trainer 3X/week. (That's the home schooler's version of P.E.) He had to take a week off from the workout routine to allow his mouth to heal after the oral surgery. In case you are wondering, the Tooth Fairy left M. a crispy $20 bill in exchange for the 4 whopper choppers. I know that's a bit excessive, but that's the smallest denomination that Mr. Smith...uh, er...I mean the Tooth Fairy's husband had in his wallet. I never have cash, and somehow leaving my debit card at my son's bedside just wasn't going to work.

In Dad's absence, Jr. is happily driving the BMW. He's doing a great job doing the manual transmission thing -- he's no greenhorn! That boy can get to where he needs to go without stalling. Great-Grandma Mildred would be proud. :-)

Our resident ballerina had her first rehearsal for PTB's Alice in Wonderland this past weekend. Liesey was offered two roles in the spring show. She's a Fairy and the Duchess. Why is it that all ballets have fairies? The choreography & costumes are lovely for the fairy scene. The "Cook/Duchess" segment is very silly & nonsensical, so it will be quite the change from a traditional ballet dance routine. The performances are scheduled for April 18 & 19. Liesey-Lou continues to dance about 10 hours/week in her regularly scheduled classes, and now there will be additional hours each weekend with all of the rehearsal time. Looks like we will need to order more pointe shoes very soon.

Miss Millie did not audition for the spring ballet. Perhaps auditions were too soon after Nutcracker for that girl. I think she's about done with dancing, except for tap! Our little girl is looking forward to many fun play dates with friends, and many activities with the family in lieu of spending time rehearsing at the studio. This past weekend, she got all of us to go on a 13.33 mile bike ride. She measured it on Google Earth, so that is an EXACT number. Millie even packed apples, oranges, and walnuts in her bike bag so we could have a snack along the bike trail. Despite a broken bicycle chain (a new one at that) that had to be mended on the trail, and a few saddle sores, we had a great time. Oh! That reminds me that I took a picture with my cell phone. I'll have to insert it here. And I thought that I didn't have any photos to share!