Monday, March 15, 2010

Weekend Wanderings

It is quite alarming to have the alarm clock ring at 5:15 AM on a Saturday morning; however, all Smiths and Smithlings happily got out of bed to get ready for a road trip to Houston. There were no complaints from anyone, except for the cats who realized that they were going to be home alone for the weekend. (They survived.)

This was our first trip to Katy, TX, to visit my brother Dwight and his family, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We will, no doubt, make a return visit in the not-too-distant future. (M. recalls making a trip to Katy about 13-1/2 years ago with G-ma and G-pa T. He had just turned four, and was really intrigued by water towers. As they drove from Tulsa to Katy, my mom and dad entertained M. by looking for and counting water towers. What fun, eh?! We did NOT count water towers on this trip. Maybe next time. Or maybe not.)

The purpose of the trip was to visit with family, and we certainly accomplished that goal. Mom and Dad are currently staying with the Texas Thompsons, so our group totaled eleven.

Shortly after we arrived, we were treated to a most excellent Turkish lunch/early dinner. I am not sure I can name everything we ate, but all of the dishes were yummy. The rest of the day was spent hanging out around the pool, as we enjoyed 70 degree temps.

Our Host and Hostess


Poolside Waltz


Hula Hooping Grandpa?!


"Two-la Hoop"
Aunt Jean is a good sport.



More bang for your buck? I have no idea what I am doing, but it all turned out okay. I think! I was doing a little damage control after Mom had someone in a Houston salon "trim" her hair in an uneven manner. No big TX hairstyles for Mom this time around.

On Sunday morning we were treated to two hot air balloons flying right over my brother's house.


The girls helped harvest a few carrots -- yum! They also learned how to prepare a few new recipes as they hung out in Aunt Jean's kitchen. We now know how to make several tasty treats with tofu. The girlie-girls also learned how to make banana "ice cream" using only frozen bananas.


It was impossible to get the cousins to pose for a photo without one of them making a silly face or laughing. I tried to get a good picture, really I did. In this pose all three Smithlings are apparently tickled at something one of their older cousins said. I wish I knew was was so amusing, but no one is tellin'.

It took adding Grandma and Grandpa to the mix to get a decent shot. What well-mannered grandchildren. I certainly love those smiles. ;-)