Monday, March 14, 2011

Lap Cat

Mr. Smith and I are currently taking a class at our church that covers the basics of the Christian faith. It's a great study. Although a lot of the material is "review," we are learning new things. And we are meeting new friends as an added bonus! It has also challenged us to be more diligent to have a daily quiet time (DQT).

One of the people in our class suggested that we all have a location for morning prayer/devotional time where there are two chairs. (I have heard this suggestion before, but it is always good to hear it again.) The two chairs serve as a reminder that God is sitting, patiently waiting for us to join him in conversation. One chair is His, the other one is mine.

The above photo shows my DQT spot in the kitchen. I have intended to use these chairs for the purpose of having a quiet time ever since we moved in the Smith Haus. These chairs, from the early 1900s, were from the Krueger family farm in Lahoma, OK. They are old, but very comfy, and built to last. This is a perfect location for morning devotions, as the morning sunshine streams through the windows. And I even have a place to put my coffee. ;-)

Over the past months, or even the past year, my DQT has been hit and miss. More miss than hit. There's really no excuse. My daily routine has been anything but routine, so many days "my" chair sits empty. I often get too busy with important stuff. My intentions are good, but I somehow never find the opportunity to sit, read, reflect, and pray once all the Smithlings are up for the day. There are many things vying for my attention. I guess I am not good at prioritizing.

I have been spending time here every morning for the past week, and I truly like having this quiet start to the day. Without fail, Jemima jumps up in the "empty" chair as I am reading or praying in my rocker. I guess she likes to curl up in Father God's lap, too.