Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Crayola Kind of Fall


"There is a time for everything,

    and a season for every activity under the heavens..." 
-Ecclesiastes 3:1
Oh, how I love the sights, sounds, and smells of this season called Fall!

Mighty (and vivid!) oaks from little acorns grow.




After three years of living in our house, we FINALLY have a little splash o' fall color in our backyard. Hooray! We have oak and maple trees that are being a bit showy. A cacophony of color?

I associate the vibrant autumn hues with the color names of Crayola crayons. 
Thanks to this inspiration from Binney & Smith's Crayola, I see the leafy artwork outside my window in a whole new light. Pigments range from Goldenrod, to Burnt Sienna, to Raw Umber, to Maize. And let's not forget Mahogany and Mulberry.

Naturally, my lawn is Mountain Meadow... and the sky is Cerulean or Cornflower. I can't decide which one.

I like the way cerulean rolls off the tongue. Besides, it's a word that is rarely used in everyday conversations. It needs to be used. 

Cerulean it is.

I'm silly, I know. But it just seems more poetic to name the colors one sees with an ever-so-descriptive name.  Ordinary ol' red, orange, and yellow now sound so ho-hum and plain vanilla.


The Hibiscus is being a show-off, too.
In Crayola-speak: Cerise or Magenta?


As I was taking color inventory photographs, I found Mr. Smith working in the backyard. (My mister is no show-off. Thankfully.) He was compacting the decomposed granite pathways before I made him stop working to smile for my camera. I think he appreciated the brief respite from such weighty matters.

The paths are Tumbleweed with flecks of Copper or Gold. And that working guy who's wearing Black and White is decidedly Flesh colored.
But which one?!!!




I'm seeing a little Purple Mountain's Majesty, Sunglow, and Scarlet.

Pots of Electric Lime, Inchworm, Shocking Pink, Eggplant, and Sepia colored plants round out the autumnal color tour.

It's unmistakably fall, and coloring outside the lines is encouraged.