Friday, January 10, 2014

A Sunday With Extra Nuts


North Central Ballet's annual Nutcracker performances were extra nutty since all five shows were postponed until after New Year's Day. Nutcracker after Christmas? Yep! All of my Christmas decor was packed away by the time we attended the final Sunday matinee. 

Either we experienced belated visions of sugarplums or we have a really early start on festivities for Christmas 2014. 

The scheduled performances were supposed to take place in early December; the weekend that the northern part of TX got covered in a thick sheet of ice. It was not possible to secure the Will Rogers Auditorium until after the holidays. Better late than not at all?!  The show must go on, even if it's a little bit delayed, right?! Despite the change in the schedule, all five performances went really well.

Our dancer kept a lower profile in the shows this year, due to a full school and work schedule. We are so proud of our daughter! Liesey not only danced three roles, but  she also worked with several groups of the younger dancers, teaching them their roles. There were many hours of rehearsal both as a performer and a teacher. Yes, this is a "lighter" load than she has done in past years.


Role #1 was playing the part of Mrs. Silberhaus, party hostess extraordinaire. Soooo, if my 19-year-old is Clara and Fritz's mom, I suppose that makes me a grandma. YIKES! I'm much too young for that.

Number 2 Smithling's 2nd role was snow; always my favorite piece. Role #3 was Spanish.

These dancers are leaping for joy... it's the finale of the final performance.

This picture is also of the finale leaps, but it was taken from the wings. I think it provides an interesting perspective. Of course, I centered the shot on one dancer in particular. What can I say? That's my girl! 

I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm definitely not a stage mom. I like to say that I'm a "very much in the back, out the stage door" kind of mom. :-) Or maybe I'm an audience mom. I'm not really sure what my title should be. A very blessed and proud mom? That sounds good to me.

After the final final curtain, Clara gathered a few of her friends and they posed for a picture, or two.
Clara and her "Spanish" mom.

 There is always time for an autograph.

Millie, Liesey, and Mak are so photogenic.

Fan club?
I figured that this was an appropriate parting shot, as it sums up my dancer girl. (This must be the part of the story about the extra nuts.) My Spanish beauty is lovely, poised, graceful, talented, etc.; however, she is also pretty much a goofball. There is just enough of silly awkwardness to keep things interesting. It looks as if she might be channeling her inner Lucille Ball. 


See?

And I know exactly what Liesey will say when she discovers that I used the silly "fan" photo without checking with her first.

"Oh, dear!"

But then she'll laugh. 

She's a good sport -- I think. I hope!