Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tut & Tutus: A weekend in SF

This past weekend Mr. Smith & I took Millie, Liesey, Ruth, and Naomi to San Francisco to see the "King Tut & the Golden Age of the Pharaohs" exhibit at the de Young museum. Although I had seen the Tut tour thirty years ago, I was not disappointed the 2nd time around.

M. was not able to go with us to SF, due to a prior commitment, so this marked the first time we left our teenage son home, ALONE, for the whole weekend. Are we nuts? No, just trusting parents. FYI, the neighbors reported that all was quiet on Raleigh Court. :-)
YIKES!



It was a picture perfect day -- 70 degrees & no fog!

Miss Millie took this photo from the back seat of the car -- while we were moving. Nice work! I liked it, so I am adding it to my blog. (Clarification: I'm referring to the above picture, not the one below!)


Now when he was a young man
He never thought he'd see
People stand in line
To see the boy king (King Tut)

How'd you get so funky? (Funky Tut)...

Oh, but stand in line we did. I took a picture of the girls waiting in line. I had to use my phone's camera, so it's grainy. I didn't even attempt top take my real camera into the museum, as I knew a curse would befall those who attempted to flash the boy king. Tutankhamen detests paparazzi.Omar Sharif was our audio tour guide.
The girls are hanging on his every word...



After a tasty lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, we went to view the GG Bridge from the Marin Headlands in Sausalito. We took LOTS of pictures of our girls in various dancer poses. (I think the total number of photos from our weekend was somewhere around 250 images.)
Ruth's arabesque spans the GGB!


A flexible trio...


Next stop: Embassy Suites in Burlingame.
We were treated to an incredible sunset as we took a walk around the SF Bay.

God is good!


Despite the fact that the sun was quickly setting, the girls posed for more photos.


How great is our God!




What's this picture doing in here? It's not a ballet pose.


This photo was taken from the hotel's balcony. We thought it was interesting how the lights looked like ballerinas dancing en pointe. The "ballerinas" are even wearing tutus. Can you see it?

After a pillow fight & general silliness, we finally got some sleep in preparation for Sunday's trek to Stern Grove in SF, where we got to see the San Francisco Ballet perform several pieces. And it was FREE!


Thanks to Cousin Linda, we had a primo location for viewing the performance.


2nd Act of Swan Lake -- Lovely!

Farewell, City by the Bay.


As soon as we were across the Bay Bridge, the girls fell asleep. Thankfully, our driver stayed awake. :-)