Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Off-the-Wall

It's been a slow news day.
A slow week?
A slow month?

October is winding down, and I have not shared one word via INOKWACA about what's been going on with the Smiths. There has been a lot going on, but you just haven't read about it here. Maybe the daily goings-on at our house just isn't newsworthy stuff.

I have been busily tending my daily household/wife/mother/neighbor/friend/homework assistant/etc. duties, so I have not had time to write much this month. Although I have written a few entries, I didn't publish them. Sometimes I do that. It helps for me to get my thoughts written down, but then I decide that nobody needs or wants to see what I wrote.

While I haven't exactly had time to sit and stare at the walls, one might draw that conclusion based upon today's entry. 


Have you seen or taken a Rorschach test? The Rorschach test or inkblot test is a psychological test in which the perception of blots of ink reveal one's personality characteristics or their emotional functioning.
  

We have a variation of the inkblot test built right into the Smith Haus. We call it the drywall mud test. Well, we really don't have a formal name for it at all. The Smith Mudblob test? The "Sheetrock Brand" All Purpose Joint Compound Weird Shapes Test? 




After living in our new house for over a year, we all realized that we were "seeing things." 


One evening, our dinner conversation turned to the images on the walls. Now how's that for an exciting table topic? We learned that we were seeing the same things in one room in particular. Most of the walls in our house have a normal knock down drywall finish; however, the master bathroom, guest bathroom, and kitchen walls have a skip trowel finish, which makes for some interesting shapes in the mud. I won't mention what room it is that has the most interesting images -- suffice it to say that it is a room that we all visit with some regularity. And of course, regularity is much preferred to irregularity.


I am not sure what I see on the wall reveals about me or my personality. We will have to analyze that another day. Probably not. Could it all mean that I might be a bit off-the-wall? Probably! I mean, I did take photos of the mud patterns and write about them on this blog. And I fully intend to hit the "publish" button this time. Those actions could be considered unusual, I suppose. 


Despite the fact that my reputation as a normal, sane individual is at risk, here are one dozen Smith mudblobs, as well as my personal interpretations: 


 A hat? A flying saucer?


 A rooster?

 I'm seeing an exotic bird here; perhaps "Kevin" from the movie Up.


 "You ain't nothin' but a hound dog..."
Lafayette the Bassett Hound from The Aristocats



 One fish


Two fish 
(No red fish or blue fish)

 A boot? Italy?


A cat? A boar? A catboar?


A turkey! (It is getting close to Thanksgiving, you know.)


A wren

 I am not sure what we agreed that we saw here, but it kinda looks like a map to me.

Or single-cell eukaryotic organisms? 
(Is it evident that I've been helping my 7th grade student prepare for a science exam?) 

Or maybe it's really just drywall mud.



Michigan/mitten




I must think a lot about food, pets, and travel -- well, travel to Michigan and Italy. And I find it interesting that I "see" nine of the twelve images as animals. So, what does it mean? Probably not much. I think that the drywall finishers simply had a good time playing in the drywall compound. Or it could be that I really have been too busy this month, and I am starting to see things.


I'll let you know if I start seeing any writing on the wall. I would really be concerned about seeing that, especially if the words are being written by a disembodied hand. King Belshazzar would likely have rather traded the message he received for my birds, cats, fish, and Michigan. ;-)