Monday, August 13, 2012

Mushy Message

The voice message from my beloved went something like this, 

"Hey, it's me... I'm still at the office, but I will be heading home soon. I should be there in about thirty minutes. Let me know if you need me to pick anything up on the way home. I love you, (insert my nickname here)!"

Short, sweet, and to the point, huh?

There's one little problem -- I never did get it.


My mister hit the wrong contact on his cell phone, so he left that message on a coworker's voicemail. (Obviously, Smitty does not listen to the outgoing messages on VM. Or else he thinks my voice is becoming deeper; manly, even.) YIKES!!!!! 

Mr. Smith called me immediately after realizing his error. As he was explaining the somewhat embarrassing blunder, he received another call, so he put me on hold. The incoming call was from his coworker, Tim, who was just calling back to tell my husband that "he loved him, too." HA! Thankfully, the recipient knows Mr. S. well... or he thought he did! 

I am not deliberately trying to embarrass Smitty by sharing this anecdote. I actually have permission to laugh at Mr. S's expense. 

Although I have never left a voice message for the wrong person, I have sent  embarrassing text messages to another person with the same first name as Mr. Smith. The two of 'em show up one right after the another on my contact list, since I have my address book arranged alphabetically by first name. More than once, I have made my recipient selection too hastily. These blunders have made for a flurry of subsequent texts of apology. While embarrassing, it is pretty funny. And I can certainly laugh at myself -- and at (or with?) my husband. :-P

Technology (especially in the hands of awkward people) is great, isn't it?