Monday, February 16, 2015

Dancing and Flying High

When the school year started, our dancer girl auditioned for a dance company at Pepperdine, Dance in Flight. 

"DIF" has been in existence for 22 years. Apparently, it is one of the largest, most beloved, and well-attended events at Pepperdine. :-) The performance spotlights Pepperdine students, of all majors and backgrounds, performing a variety of dance principles from jazz, hip hop, tap, ballet, modern, theatrical, ballroom and world dance.

I suppose that all of those years hanging out at the barre paid off. After two long days of auditions, Liesey made the cut from 90 to 30 dancers. She then spent September through January dancing and rehearsing. 


This photo was taken during one of the rehearsals.  Love those smiles; one more than the others.


The cover of the school paper was graced with DIF dancers. My favorite is next to the "C" in Graphic.


Obviously, they are having a ball.

On the cover of the program, the letter "D" is brought to you by my daughter.
(I just realized that where DIF is concerned, Liesey is all about the Cs and Ds -- good thing her academic grades are nowhere near these letters!) :-P


The stage is all set. The artwork is ready to come to life. Let the dancing begin.

The DIF performances were held the weekend of Valentine's Day, and I would have LOVED to have been there. Thankfully, my seester arranged to be in Malibu for one of the shows. What a good auntie!

When the auditions roll around this fall, I know of a dancer who plans to be there for tryouts. If our ballerina girl makes it "in" again, I will be booking my flight for Dance in Flight plenty early.