Saturday, February 14, 2015

Platitudinous V-Day PUNishment

There's just something about vintage Valentine's Day cards from the 1950s-60s that I enjoy. It must be my love of the pun that makes these classic cards so near and dear to my heart. I don't care if these are hackneyed old sayings that are "so old they've got whiskers," there is an innocence that goes along with the much simpler time period in which these types of cards were produced. 

Cupid can draw back his bow and shoot puns at me any time. Here are a few of my favs.
 Out of the frying pan and into the fire?
These two are sunny side up?
They have egg on their face?
I'm cracking up at these bad yolks...Not really.


 Food puns are always in good taste.


Cats and puns make fur a good pairing.



Is this one is a bit edgy? Hmmm... 
I think it was a much more wholesome era when this card would have been sold. Call me naïve, I'm going with the "age of innocence" thing here. This kind of card certainly would not be sold to elementary aged children today. I'm sure some people would be "fit to be tied" over this kind of message. 
I could see myself giving out this kind of card. It's a-maize-ing.

And if everything went accordion to plan, this would be the card for my beloved to give to me. I'll end it here, before we hit a sour note.