Tuesday, December 9, 2008

May I borrow the car, Mom? Dad? Anyone?

Driving Instructor Paul took M. out for one last "All Star" class prior to our 2:30 appointment at the Department of Motor Vehicles. Today was driving exam day! I met up with these two at the DMV parking lot thirty minutes before the scheduled appointment time. And yes, I HAD to get a picture.


M and I decided to go ahead and check in early at the DMV since we were there. After standing in line at Window 17 for 15 minutes, the nice Romanian gentleman kindly informed us that we were too early, and we would have to go to the back of the line. I thought he must be joking. Nope! After another 15 minutes of waiting, we arrived at his window exactly on time. How silly is that? I was beginning to wonder if we were being filmed for an episode of Candid Camera. ;-)


We then were instructed to drive the car to the back of the building to wait in the queue for the driving exam. There were at least nine cars ahead of us, so we waited from 2:30 until 3:45 until it was our turn. M. met Josef, the examiner, and off they went for a ten minute joy ride, leaving me at the DMV with lots of other waiting parents/guardians. Some parents looked really nervous, so it was entertaining to watch the whole scene. No nerves for me -- I was confident that my son would do just fine.


My boy was all smiles when he got back as he showed me his "report card."Hooray!

Back we went to Window 17 ONE MORE TIME! Mr. Romania saw that I had my camera and asked me why I had it with me. I explained that I had brought it with me to take a photo of my son standing next to the DMV sign after we were finished with the exam. (I didn't feel the need to explain to him that I take photos of just about everything -- he could probably tell that I was one of "those" types!)


Mr R. added that he thought that I was going to take HIS picture. So I questioned, "Have any customers ever taken your picture?"


He thought for a few seconds before answering in the negative.


Next I inquired if it was against state policies, rules, or procedures to take photos inside the DMV, and he said he didn't think so. I then asked if he wanted me to take his picture, and he said, "Yes, that would be fine." I told him that I would put him on my blog, so there he is!


And that's the story behind the handshake shot. He was a very nice man -- punctual, too.


And finally, here's the photo that was meant to embarrass the newly licensed driver. He didn't mind at all. I detect a look of pride on that boy's face, don't you?!


Tomorrow it's off to visit our Good Neighbor, State Farm -- now the "fun" really begin$. (I think I'll leave my camera at home.)